Research Associate, Forest Policy Center
MS University of Minnesota, Applied Economics
Ph.D University of Minnesota, Forest Econ/Ag Econ (Minor)
Dr. Hussain's research focuses on resource use and economic efficiency, and the implications of alternative economic policies.
- Project appraisal and evaluation
- Resource and production economics
- Non-market valuation and environmental policy
- Regional input-output and general equilbrium modeling
- Hussain, A., I. A. Munn and R.K. Grala. 2015. Global competitiveness of U.S. forest products trade: general equilibrium
analysis. Forest Products Journal (In Press)
- Hjerpe, E., A. Hussain, and P. Spencer. 2015. Valuing type and scope of ecosystem conservation: a meta-analysis.
Journal of Forest Economics 15(1): 1-19
- Ristroph, E.B., and A. Hussain. 2015. Wilderness: good for Alaska - legal and economic perspectives. Washington Journal of Environmental Law & Policy. 4(2):
- Munn, I.A., and A. Hussain. 2014. Hunting leases: markets and economic implications, Chapter 12, pp: 175-187,
In S. Kant and J. Alavalapati (Eds.). Handbook of Forest Resource Economics. Routledge:
Taylor and Francis Group. NY, USA.
- Joshi, O., D.L. Grebner, I.A. Munn, S.C. Grado, R.K. Grala, A. Hussain. 2014. Factors influencing utilization
of woody biomass from wood processing facilities in Mississippi. Forest Products Journal 64(1/2): 64-71.
- Hussain, A., I.A. Munn, J. Brashier, W. Daryl Jones, and J. E. Henderson. 2013. Capitalization of hunting lease
income into Northern Mississippi forestland values. Land Economics 89(1):137-153.
- Joshi, O., D.L. Grebner, A. Hussain, and S.C. Grado. 2013. Landowner knowledge and willingness to supply woody
biomass for wood-based bioenergy: Sample selection approach. Journal of Forest Economics.
- Zhang, Y., E. Rafailova and A. Hussain. 2013. Ecosystem services payment and non-market valuation: implications
for Bulgarian private forest management. Forestry Ideas 19(1): 49-57.
- Joshi, O., DL Grebner, IA Munn, A. Hussain, S Gruchy. 2013. Understanding landowner preferences for woody biomass
harvesting: A choice experiment based approach. Forest Science 59 (5): 549-558.
- Gruchy, S.R., D.L. Grebner, I.A. Munn, O. Joshi, A. Hussain. 2012. An assessment of nonindustrial private forest
landowner willingness to harvest woody biomass in support of bioenergy production in Mississippi: a contingent
rating approach. Forest Policy and Economics 15(2012):140-145.
- Hussain, A., I.A. Munn, D.J. Holland, J.B. Armstrong, S. Spurlock. 2012. Economic impact of wildlife-associated
recreation expenditures in the southeast United States: a general equilibrium analysis. Journal of Agriculture and Applied Economics 44(1):63-82.
- Munn, I.A., A. Hussain, D. Hudson, and B. West. 2011. Hunter Preferences and Willingness to pay for hunting leases.
Forest Science 57(3): 189-200.
- Hussain, A., I.A. Munn., D. Hudson, and B. West. 2010. Attribute-Based Analysis of Mississippi Deer Hunters' Preferences.
Journal of Environmental Management 91 (12) 2565-2571.
- Munn, I.A., A. Hussain, S. Spurlock, and J. E. Henderson. 2010. Economic Impact of Wildlife-Associated Recreation: An input output analysis.
Human Dimensions of Wildlife 15(6):433-449.
- Munn, I.A. and A. Hussain. 2010. Decomposing hunting lease rates in Mississippi: insights from Oaxaca-Blinder decomposition.
Land Economics 86(1): 66-78.
- Sun, X., C. Sun, I.A. Munn, and A. Hussain. 2009. Knowledge of public assistance programs and application behavior
of nonindustrial private forest landowners: a two step sample selection model. Journal of Forest Economics
- Rhyne, J.D., I.A. Munn, and A. Hussain. 2009. Hedonic analysis of auctioned hunting leases: A case study of Mississippi 16th section lands.
Human Dimensions of Wildlife 14(4):227-239.
- Hussain, A., C. Sun, X. Zhou, and I.A. Munn. 2008. Ecological and economic determinants of invasive species trees on Alabama forestland.
Forest Science 54(3):339-348.
- Hussain, A., I.A. Munn, S.C. Grado, and J. Henderson. 2008. Economic impact of wildlife associated outfitters and their clientele in Mississippi.
Human Dimensions of Wildlife 13(4):243-251.
- Laband, D., A. Hussain, and A. Gonzalez-Caban. 2008. The impact of Forest Service litigation success on administrative appeals of proposed fuels reduction actions.
Forest Policy and Economics 10(7-8):444-449.
- Sun, X., I.A. Munn, C. Sun, and A. Hussain. 2008. How promptly nonindustrial private forest landowners regenerate their lands after harvest: A duration analysis.
Canadian Journal of Forest Research 38(8):2109-2117.
- Hussain, A., I.A. Munn, S.C. Grado, B.C. West, W.D. Jones, and J.C. Jones. 2007. Hedonic Analysis of Hunting Lease Revenue and Landowner Willingness to Provide Access.
Forest Science 53(4):493-506.
- Hussain, A., J.B. Armstrong, D.B. Brown, and J. Hogland. 2007. Land-use pattern, Urbanization and Deer-Vehicle
Collisions in Alabama. Human-Wildlife Conflicts 1(1):89-96.
- Munn, I.A., A. Hussain, B.C. West, S.C. Grado, and D. Jones. 2007. Analyzing Landowner Demand for Wildlife and
Forest Management Information. Journal of Agriculture and Applied Economics 39(3):557-569.
- Zhang, Y., A. Hussain, J. Deng, and N. Leston. 2007. Public Attitudes towards Urban Trees and Supporting Urban
Tree Programs. Environment and Behavior 39(6):797-814.
- Zhang, D., A. Hussain, and J.B. Armstrong. 2006. Supply of Hunting Leases from Non-industrial Private Forest Lands in Alabama.
Human Dimensions of Wildlife 11(1):1-14.
- Laband, D., A. Gonzalez-Caban, and A. Hussain. 2006. Factors that Influence Administrative Appeals of Proposed
USDA Forest Service Fuels Reduction Actions. Forest Science 52(5):477-488.
- Hussain, A. and D. Laband. 2005. The Tragedy of the Political Commons: Evidence from U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes
on Environmental Legislation. Public Choice 124(3-4):353-364.
- Hussain, A, D. Zhang, and J.B. Armstrong. 2004. Willingness to Pay for Hunting Leases in Alabama.
Southern Journal of Applied Forestry 28(1):21-27.
- Zhang, D., A. Hussain. 2004. Impact of U.S.-Canada Softwood Lumber Trade Controversy: A Stock Market Perspective,
Working Paper, School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences, Auburn University, Auburn Al 36849.
- Kurosaki, Takashi and A. Hussain. 1999. Poverty, Risk and Human Capital in the Rural NWFP Pakistan, Institute
of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi, University, Tokyo, Japan, 1999.
- Hussain, A. and G.D.Pederson. 1994. Application of the Single Index Model to Minnesota's Agriculture , Journal of the American
Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers , 58(1).
- Hussain, A., W. R. Maki, D. Braslau and D. Olson. 1993. The Changing Structure of US Transportation Sector: An
Input-Output Analysis, Department of Applied Economics, University of Minnesota, MN, USA, Staff Paper P93
– 22 Get
- Hussain, A. 1991. Resource Use, Efficiency and Returns to Scale in Pakistan: A Case Study of Peshawar Valley,
Department of Applied Economics, University of Minnesota, Staff Paper P.91 – 29 Get
Send mail to FPC@auburn.edu with questions or comments about this