The Truman Pierce Institute for the Advancement of Teacher
Education was created in 1982 in response to growing
national and regional concerns related to the study and improvement of teaching and learning.
Mission and Purpose
- To stimulate the development and proper implementation of the knowledge base for preparing educators.
- To promote collaboration between higher education and public schools in all aspects of teaching and leadership.
- To assist universities and public schools in the development and implementation of professional development schools/systems in order to stimulate renewal of higher education and public schools.
- To promote collaboration between the College of Education
- Educational Leadership Program and other schools and colleges within the university that offer training in leadership and
- To improve the conditions within schools and communities that influence the effectiveness of leadership.
How Can I Contribute?
The Truman Pierce Institute will greatly appreciate additional support from you.
The Truman Pierce Institute is a nonprofit organization; all gifts are tax deductible.
Contact the College of Education Development Office at
(334) 844-1324 for more information.
Thank you for your support.
Projects of the Truman Pierce Institute
- A Learning Coalition
In 1993, the Alabama Power Foundation granted funding to the College of Education at Auburn University to engage in an innovative venture focused upon uniting Universities and schools in partnership relationships to improve teacher education and K-12 schooling.
- West Alabama Learning Coalition
In 1995, Auburn University started the West Alabama Project, an initiative to develop a concerted and coordinated effort to assist rural Alabama in meeting the needs of its citizens.
- Center for Professional Development Schools
The Truman Pierce Institute facilitates the development of Professional
Development Schools as part of the Holmes Partnership.
- Surveys of Interest for the State
The Truman Pierce Institute designs and coordinates surveys of interest for the Alabama State Department of Education.
- Professional Educator
The Professional Educator is published by Auburn University’s Truman Pierce Institute and the College of Education.