Post-doctoral Research Associate – Virginia Tech
Ph.D. – Biological Sciences – Auburn University
M.S. – Ecology and Conservation Biology – State University of New York-College of Environmental Science and Forestry
B.Sc. – Zoology – University of New Hampshire
Research and Teaching Interests
Wildlife ecology, conservation, and management. Representative publications can be found at The Steen Lab Webpage.
- Steen, D. A., C. J. W. McClure, J. C. Brock, D. C. Rudolph, J. B. Pierce, J. R. Lee, W. J. Humphries, B. B. Gregory, W. B. Sutton, L. L. Smith, D. L. Baxley, D. J. Stevenson, and C. Guyer. 2014. Snake co-occurrence patterns are best explained by habitat and hypothesized effects of interspecific interactions. Journal of Animal Ecology 83:286-295.
- Steen, D. A., L. M. Conner, L. L. Smith, L. Provencher, J. K. Hiers, S. Pokswinski, B. Helms, and C. Guyer. 2013. Bird assemblage response to restoration of fire-suppressed longleaf pine sandhills. Ecological Applications 23:134-147.
- Steen, D. A., L. L. Smith, L. M. Conner, A. R. Litt, L. Provencher, J. K. Hiers, S. Pokswinski, and C. Guyer. 2013. Reptile assemblage response to restoration of fire-suppressed longleaf pine sandhills. Ecological Applications23:148-158.
- Smith, L. L., D. A. Steen, L. M. Conner, and J. C. Rutledge. 2012. Effects of predator exclusion on nest and hatchling survival in the gopher tortoise. Journal of Wildlife Management 77:352-358.
- Steen, D. A., C. J. W. McClure, J. C. Brock, D. C. Rudolph, J. B. Pierce, J. R. Lee, W. J. Humphries, B. B. Gregory, W. B. Sutton, L. L. Smith, D. L. Baxley, D. J. Stevenson, and C. Guyer. 2012. Landscape-level influences of terrestrial snake occupancy within the southeastern United States. Ecological Applications 22:1084-1097.
- Steen D. A., J. P. Gibbs, K. A. Buhlmann, J. L. Carr, B. W. Compton, J. D. Congdon, J. S. Doody, J. C. Godwin, K. L. Holcomb, D. R. Jackson, F. J. Janzen, G. Johnson, M. T. Jones, J.T. Lamer, T. A. Langen, M. V. Plummer, J. W. Rowe, R. A. Saumure, J. K. Tucker, and D. S. Wilson. 2012. Terrestrial habitat requirements of nesting freshwater turtles. Biological Conservation 150:121-128.
- Steen, D. A., J. P. Gibbs and S. T. A. Timmermans. 2006. Assessing the sensitivity of waterbird communities to hydrologic change in the eastern Great Lakes region. Wetlands 26:605-611.
- Gibbs, J. P. and D. A. Steen. 2005. Trends in sex ratios of turtles in the United States: implications of road mortality. Conservation Biology 19:552-556.
- Steen, D. A. and J. P. Gibbs. 2004. Effects of roads on the structure of freshwater turtle populations. Conservation Biology 18:1143-1148.