COSAM Graduate Student Travel Fund
(latest modification: 8/27/2014 agm)
Please note: the Safari and Firefox browsers, as of 8/27/14, will not work directly with forms associated with this page.
If the forms are downloaded they can be filled out and submitted with Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.
Please read carefully, because there have been some changes to the application process.
The College of Science and Mathematics provides modest support for COSAM graduate students to present their own thesis research at scientific meetings. Each graduate student can receive at most one COSAM travel award in any three consecutive review periods. Preference is given to previously unfunded students who are nearing graduation, students with strong proven records of productivity as shown through publication or other evidence of strong research scholarship, and students who have attempted to obtain support from other sources, such as the Graduate School or the agency running the meeting. The quality of the graduate faculty advisor letter is closely examined to because it confirms information elsewhere in the application, and further indicates the level of support the advisor has for the student. Applications lacking any part of the packet will not be considered. If it is detected that the application is incomplete, and if the incomplete state of the application is detected before the deadline, we will try to contact the student and/or advisor to appraise them of the situation, but there is no guarantee that we will be able to do so. If the incomplete application is discovered after the deadline, it will not be considered. Thus, it behooves the student to be complete and careful in the application effort.
With the 10/1/2014 deadline, we are instituting electronic-only applications, and electronic-only faculty reference letters. Please read the new rules carefully before proceeding.
The Graduate Student Travel Committee members are:
|Anthony Moss (Biological Sciences, Chair)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Narendra Govil (Mathematics and Stataistics)||email@example.com|
|Haibo Zou (Geology and Geography)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Symon Gathiaka (Chemistry/BioChemistry, Graduate Student Representative)||email@example.com|
Until further notice, only electronic applications will be accepted.
1. Starting 8/27/2014, there will be only one accepted form; it is linked here:
Read the instructions very carefully, and when you submit the application and attach the second file (there will be two files total) do not change the name of the application file that appears, but DO add your GUID (email name) to the end of the existing application file name. Be sure to include your GUID as the file name for your second file (the one with all of the supporting information as described in the application form. This will ease sorting of the files in the COSAM Assoc. Dean for Research Office, where this award is housed.
2. A 'Request for Authority to Travel' (R.A.T.) form must be included with every application.
3. Please be aware that international travel can be complex. If the travel is international in nature, we need to see that you have started to fill out the R.A.T.-50 form (you would not provide a R.A.T. form). The R.A.T.-50 need not be completed with all signatures since we know that can take several weeks to obtain. Obtain a R.A.T.-50 and please read through the guidance provided by The Office of International Programs has compiled a list of the considerations for international travel at:
The College of Agriculture has also compiled useful information about international travel at:
Where requested on the forms, please fill out the account information if another funding source is already contributing to the support.
3. Applications can only come from COSAM graduate students in good standing; applications from students enrolled in other colleges are not allowed.
4. To the faculty advisor: Please fill out the faculty reference letter form and submit it electronically. The letter can be submitted either as a short letter on the form itself or as a letterhead based letter. Keep in mind that it is expected that the student does not have access to your reference letter. Your digital signature guarantees authenticity.
We know your time is important, and for this reason the form has many pre-loaded buttons to speed the process. Please also understand that a quality reference is a great help to your student. Thank you for your time. There are two 'Submit' buttons on the form. In the upper right there is a button that labelled "Submit without letterhead" (blue lettering in an orange lined box) and in the lower right there is a button labelled "Submit with letterhead" (orange lettering in a blue lined box).
When you send in your faculty reference form and / or your letterhead letter, be sure that the student's GUID (email name) follows the standard name of the file (DO NOT CHANGE THE ORIGINAL NAME: ONLY ADD THE GUID). For instance, if a letter were sent on my personal behalf (Anthony Moss, firstname.lastname@example.org) the professor's reference letter form file would be named 'COSAM_graduate_travel_award_professor_reference_mossant.pdf' . Similarly, please label the letterhead letter as follows: 'COSAM_graduate_travel_award_mossant.pdf'. Labelling in this manner eases the sorting of incoming mail in the COSAM ADR office.
Late applications will not be considered. We strive to make decisions within a week of the deadline.
|Review Period||Travel Period||Deadline|
|1 - Fall Semester||15 August - 15 January||1 October|
|2 - Spring Semester||15 December - 15 May||1 February|
|3 - Summer||15 April - 15 September||1 June|