COSAM » Departments » Mathematics & Statistics » Students » Graduate Students » Current Graduate Students » Changing from Masters to PhD

Changing from Masters to PhD

Changing your classification from Masters to PhD is not an automatic procedure. In order to change, you must

  • get the support of two faculty members, one of whom is your master's advisor and the other is, preferably, the person with whom you want to do a Ph.D. Each should write a letter and send it to the Graduate Program Officer (GPO);
  • complete a Ph.D. plan of study (which can always be changed as you progress toward your degree).

The application is then taken to the Graduate Studies Committee for approval. Once approved, the GPO informs the Graduate School to make the change official.

Last Updated: 10/03/2018