PLUACLD093 Empowerment of School Leaders: Four Key Components — AQTS, Coaching, Research, Assessment
- Participants must have at least 3 prior years of teaching experience and be interested in acquiring instructional leadership skills, acknowledged as an instructional leader on their campus, the designated teacher leader to the mentoring program on campus, a mentor, hold administrative certification, or be an administrator.
- Participants must attend at least 4 workshops and complete the mandated reflections and other homework as well as engage in group activities and discussions.
- Participants must agree to submit a proposal for a school improvement project
: The purpose of this study is to equip administrators and teacher leaders with the knowledge, skills, and processes for the enhancement of instruction. The area of focus is Standard 1 - Planning for Continuous Improvement in alignment with the Alabama Standards for Professional Development. Participants will include school and other administrators and teacher leaders.
This study is a collaboration between EARIC and the Elmore County Board of Education. Dr. Vikki Miller, former EARIC Director, and Ginger Wright, Elmore County Mentoring Specialist, will provide primary delivery of the study through a series of 4 workshops at the Auburn High School Multi-Media Center. Central Office and school administrators will provide support and guidance for the activities associated with this study. Participants will complete a book study, analyze related articles, engage in reflections/activities during and following each session, and design a project for possible future implementation.
A locally-developed survey will be administered to determine areas of strength as well as those requiring focus; later surveys will measure participant growth. Participants will conclude this study by developing an action plan for implementation of a school improvement project the subsequent year. Plan submittal is required, but the project would be carried out in PLUACLD118 the subsequent year.
Participants will achieve the following:
- Build trust, establish relationships, and strengthen leadership skills through their ability to use effective coaching and communications skills
- Deepen their understanding of the Alabama Quality Teaching Standards and the Continuum
- Contribute to the development of a school culture receptive to the implementation of the standards
- Identify a need in their school and develop an action plan to bring about improvement in that area
Participants with administrative certification will earn 1 PLU; teacher leaders will receive contact hours.
The dates for this PLU which is a prerequisite for PLUACLD118 are September 15, 2012; October 13, 2012; January 12, 2013; and February 23, 2013. The hours are 8:00 till 11:30 A.M. at the Auburn High School Multi-Media Center located in the 800 wing.
EARIC will either purchase the books for participants or make them available for use with purchase options.
Interested educators should sign up on STI PD through the EARIC website. Participants are also asked to email Ginger Wright at email@example.com to assist with planning and especially until the PLU is available through the EARIC website. A waiting list will be maintained, but first priority is given to educators served by EARIC.
May 22, 2013