Economics and Management of Risk in Agriculture and Natural Resources
Annual Meeting of SRIEG-70
Gulf Shores State Park,
Gulf Shores, Alabama
March 21-23, 1996
The focus of the SRIEG includes the following program areas and initiatives:
- Environmental and Natural Resources (Protecting and enhancing water resources; Compatibility of agriculture, natural resources and the environment; Sustaining forest, range and related natural resources).
- Economic and Social Issues (Improving competitiveness in global markets; Impacts of new agricultural technologies).
- Animal Systems (Animal production systems).
- Plant Systems (Pest management strategies; Biology and management of plant systems).
March 21 - Thursday
March 22 - Friday
- Reception hosted by the National Cotton Council and the National Crop Insurance Service
8:30 - 9:00 am
9:00 - 10:00
- Personal Introduction of Attendees' Research
- Mark Krause "A Stochastic Dominance Analysis of Yield and Price Insurance Strategies in North Dakota"
- David Buschena, Michael Roberts and Alan Baquet "Accuracy of Experimental Methods for Risk Preferences"
10:00 - 10:15 Break
10:15 - 11:45
- Joe Atwood and David Buschena "Risk Averse Behavior Under Risk Neutral Preferences and Transactions Costs"
- Lindon Robison "When Does Mean-Variance Utility Get it Right?"
- Ray Huffaker "Is Risk Necessary in Economic Analysis?"
11:45 - 1:30 pm Lunch
1:30 - 3:00
- Amit Bitybal "Renewal Theory and Natural Resource Regulatory Policy Under Uncertainty"
- Jay Coggins "Quasi-Option Value in Natural Resource Decisions: Luck or Learning?"
- Rob Innes "The Economics of Safe Drinking Water"
3:00 - 3:15 Break
3:15 - 5:00
- Risk and Public Safety Discussion
- Mark Messionnier "Economics and Management of Risk in Public Health: The CDC Experience"
6:00 pm Dinner - Ribs and Reds. This is highly recommended.
March 23 - Saturday
8:30 - 10:00 am
- Brian Wright and Seung Jick Yoo "Booms and Busts in Natural Growth: Evidence from Tree Ring Data"
- Matt Holt and Satheesh Aradhyula "Endogenous Risk in Rational-Expectations Commodity Models: A Multivariate Generalized Arch-M Approach"
- Mario Miranda and Joe Glauber "Price Stabilization, Revenue Stabilization and the Natural Hedge"
10:00 - 10:15 Break
10:15 - 10:45
- David Zilberman "Who Benefits from Economic Information?"
10:45 - 12:00 Discussion and Adjourn