Economics and Management of Risk in Agriculture and Natural Resources
Annual Meeting of SCC-76
Radisson Plaza Hotel,
Myrtle Beach, SC
March 31st through April 2nd, 2005
Barry J. Barnett (U. of Georgia), Chair
Scott W. Fausti (South Dakota State U.), Program Chair
C. Robert Taylor (Auburn U.), Local Arrangements Chair
Dan McLemore (U. of Tennessee), Administrative Advisor
For Special Funding We Thank: National Crop Insurance Services and National Cotton Council.
March 31 - Thursday
7:30 - 9:00 pm
April 1 - Friday
- Welcome Reception
8:00 - 8:20 am
8:20 - 9:00 am
- Welcome and Introductions
- Coble, Keith H., Robert Dismukes, and Joseph W. Glauber. Private Crop Insurers and the Fund Allocation Decision.
9:00 - 9:40 am
- Tauer, Loren W., Cameron Nightingale, Renata Ivanek, and Martin Wiedmann. Optimal Levels of Inputs under Risk to Control/Listeria monocytogenes/ Contamination at a Smoked Fish Plant.
9:40 - 10:00 am Break
10:00 - 10:40 am
- Just, David, and Steve Wu. The Positive or Negative Incentives in Contracts and Non-Expected Utility.
10:40 - 11:20
- Schumann, Keith P., and James W. Richardson. SERF Surfaces and Generalized Utility Functions.
11:20 - noon
- Harri, Ardian, Keith Coble, Cumhur Buguk, and Thomas Knight. Crop Yields Normality: A Reconciliation of Previous Research.
noon - 1:20 pm Lunch
1:20 - 2:00
- Buschena, David, and Kevin McNew. An Exploration of Market Pricing Efficiency During the Dairy Options Pilot Program.
2:00 - 2:40 pm
- Vedenov, Dmitry, James E. Epperson, and Barry J. Barnett. Designing Catastrophe Bonds to Securitize Disaster Risks in Agriculture: Case of Georgia Cotton.
2:40 - 3:00 pm Break
3:00 - 3:40 pm
- Zuba, Gerhard, Oscar Vergara, and Tim Doggett. Separating the Climate and Technological Contributions to Crop Yields: An Application to Crop Yield Distributions.
3:40 - 4:20 pm
- Sherrick, Bruce, Gary Schnitkey, and Scott Irwin. Methods for Simulating Crop Revenue Distributions.
4:20 - 5:00 pm
- Lybbert, Travis, J., and David R. Just. Wealth, Farmer Characteristics and Risk Aversion.
April 1 - Saturday
8:00 - 8:40 am
- Rejesus, Rod, Cesar L. Escalante and Bruce Sherrick. Attitudes toward Government Support Programs in Agriculture: A View from Insured and Non-Insured Farmers.
8:40 - 9:20 am
- Atwood, Joseph. Non-Bayesian Procedures for Empirically Estimating Univartiate/Multivariate Distributions while Incorporating Information from Disparate Data Sets.
9:20 - 10:00 am
- Kurkalova, Lyubov. Discounting Carbon Sequestered in Agricultural Soils: The Case of a Risk Averse Aggregator.
10:00 - 10:20 am Break
10:20 - 11:00 am
- Fausti, Scott, and Matt Diersen. Selling Slaughter Cattle on a Gird: Did Mandatory Livestock Price Reporting Rules Make a Difference?