Economics and Management of Risk in Agriculture and Natural Resources
Annual Meeting of SERA-IEG-31
Gulf Shores State Park,
Gulf Shores, Alabama
March 20-22, 2003
Jeffrey Gillespie (Louisiana State U.), Chair
Barry J. Barnett (U. of Georgia), Program Chair
C. Robert Taylor (Auburn U.), Local Arrangements Chair
Dan McLemore (U. of Tennessee) & Dan Smith (Clemson U.), Administrative Advisors
For Special Funding We Thank: National Crop Insurance Services and National Cotton Council.
March 20 - Thursday
March 21 - Friday
- Welcome Reception
- Welcome and Introductions
- Invited Presentation: Risk, Rationality, and Arbitrage - Jason Shogren, University of Wyoming.
- Risk Aversion in the Presence of Background Risk: Evidence from the Lab - Jayson Lusk, Mississippi State University.
9:45 - 10:00 Break
10:00 - 11:30
- Attachment Values and Risk Aversion - Lindon Robison, Michigan State University.
- Playing with Fire: Risky Tradeoffs in Vegetation Management - Jonathan Yoder, Washington State University.
- Developing an Alternative Risk Behavioral Construct for the Optimal Farm Debt Model Using the Location-Scale Parameter Condition - Carl Nelson, University of Illinois.
11:30 - 1:00 pm Lunch
1:00 - 2:30
- Consistent Estimation of Errors-In-Variables Models in a Homogeneous System: Perspectives from a Production System - Rulon Pope, Brigham Young University.
- Hedging with Individual and Index-Based Contracts - Olivier Mahul, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique.
- Disease Risk Insurance Products for Livestock and Poultry Producers - John Green, USDA/APHIS.
2:30 - 3:00 Break
3:00 - 5:00
- Comparison of Value-at-Risk and Conditional Value-at-Risk in Evaluating Crop Insurance Alternatives - Gary Schnitkey, University of Illinois.
- Policy Interactions and Conflicts with U.S. Milk Hedging Effectiveness - Leigh Maynard, University of Kentucky.
- Producer Participation in the Dairy Options Pilot Program - Monte Vandeveer, USDA/ERS.
- An Empirical Analysis of the Private Insurance Companies in the U.S. Crop Insurance Program - Alan Ker, University of Arizona.
March 22 - Saturday
8:00 - 9:30 am
- Evaluating the Mutual Effect of Input Use on Production Risk and Inefficiency: An Application to Cotton Cropping Systems - Jim Larson, University of Tennessee.
- Participation in the Flood Insurance Program: Results of a Survey in Coastal Areas - Warren Kriesel,
University of Georgia.
- Counseling and Mortgage Termination by Low-Income Households - Valentina Hartarska, Auburn University.
9:30 - 10:00 Break
10:00 - 11:00
- Efficiency of Weather Derivatives for Agricultural Risk Management - Dmitry Vedenov, University of Georgia.
- Identification of Beef Producer Segments Based on Preferences for Livestock Revenue Insurance - Deacue Fields, Auburn University.
11:00 - 11:30
- Business Meeting.