Economics and Management of Risk in Agriculture and Natural Resources
Annual Meeting of SERA-IEG-31
Gulf Shores State Park,
Gulf Shores, Alabama
March 21-23, 2002
Loren Tauer (Cornell U.), Chair
Keith H. Coble (Mississippi St. U.) & Jeffrey Gillespie (Louisiana St. U.), Program Chairs
C. Robert Taylor (Auburn U.), Local Arrangements Chair
Dan McLemore (U. of Tennessee) & Dan Smith (Clemson U.), Administrative Advisors
For Special Funding We Thank: Farm Foundation, National Crop Insurance Services, and National Cotton Council.
March 21 - Thursday
March 22 - Friday
- Welcome Reception
8:15 - 10:00
- Dmitry V. Vedenov and Barry J. Barnett, University of Georgia, Weather Derivatives for Agricultural Risk Management: Fad or Practical Tool?
- Mario Miranda, Ohio State University, Advances in Computational Techniques for Risk Analysis.
10:00 - 10:15 Break
10:15 - 11:45
- Alan Ker, University of Arizona, Nonparametric Yield Estimation.
- Amitrajeet A. Batabyal, Rochester Institute of Technology, Alternate Decision Rules, The
Flexibility Premium, And Land Development Over Time And Under Uncertainty.
11:45 - 1:15 pm Lunch
1:15 - 2:45
- Roderick M. Rejesus, Tarleton State University, Ex Post Moral Hazard in Crop Insurance: Costly State Verification Or Falsification?
- H. Holly Wang and Hao Zhang, Washington State University, A Spatial Statistics Approach to Analyzing The Pooling of Crop Yield Risk.
2:45 - 3:00 Break
3:00 - 4:30
- Bruce Ahrendsen, H.L. Goodwin, James Denton, and T. Lionel Barton, University of Arkansas, A Precursor to Estimating Risk for Contract Broiler Production,
Estimating Expected Returns in Arkansas, Missouri, And Oklahoma.
- Alvin Schupp and Jeffrey Gillespie, Louisiana State University, Consumer Perceptions of Beef Safety.
March 23 - Saturday
8:15 - 9:45 am
- Bailey Norwood, North Carolina State University, How Are Crop Yields Distributed?
- Terrance M. Hurley, University of Minnesota, Paul D. Mitchell, Texas A&M University
Marlin E. Rice, Iowa State University, Risk and the Value of Bt Corn.
9:45 - 10:00 Break
10:00 - 11:00
- David Buschena, Montana State University, The Crop Consultant's Pesticide Application Recommendation.
11:00 - 12:00
- Business Meeting.