Economics and Management of Risk in Agriculture and Natural Resources
Annual Meeting of SERA-IEG-31
Gulf Shores State Park,
Gulf Shores, Alabama
March 23-25, 2000
David Buschena (Montana State U.), Chair
Loren Tauer (Cornell U.), Program Chair
Bob Taylor (Auburn U.), Local Arrangements Chair
Michael Salassi (Louisiana State U.), Administrative Advisor
Financial support from the Farm Foundation, Oak Brook, Illinois for travel expenses of invited speakers and for WWW maintenance is appreciated.
March 23 - Thursday
March 24 - Friday
- Reception hosted by the National Cotton Council and the National Crop Insurance Service
- Welcome and Introductions
- Invited Papers
- Arne Hallam (Iowa State U.), Risk Research during the Last 25 Years.
- Richard Just (U. of Maryland), Risk Research Opportunities for the Future.
10:00 - 10:30 Break
10:30 - 12:00
- Presented Papers
- Thomas O. Knight (Texas A&M), and Keith H. Coble (Mississippi State U.), What Does Actuarial Experience Reveal about Mean Yields and Crop Insurance Losses and What are the Implications for Insurance Ratemaking.
- Shiva S. Makki and Agapi Somwaru (ERS, USDA), A Dynamic Analysis of Farmers Participation in Risk Insurance Markets.
- Bobby Matheson (Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada), Private and Public Risk Management in Canadian Agriculture.
12:00 - 1:30 pm Lunch
1:30 - 3:00
- Rick L. Hirschi (Western Illinois U.), Eric A. DeVuyst (North Dakota State U.) and John Braden (U. of Illinois), Easements as a Flood Mitigation and Risk Reduction Tool.
- John Green (APHIS, (Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service), USDA), A Framework for Determining Regional Economic Consequence/Impact Related to Risk in the Export/Import of Animals and Animal Products.
- Mark A. Peters (ERS, USDA) and W. Terry Disney (APHIS, USDA), Using Value of Information to Rank Alternative Mitigation Strategies for Risky Animal Disease Import Decisions.
3:00 - 3:30 Break
3:30 - 5:30
- Amit Batabyal and Hamid Beladi (Utah State U.), Time Restrictions in Natural Resource Management: A Dynamic and Stochastic Analysis.
- Jeffrey M. Gillespie (Louisiana State U.) and Scott W. Fausti (South Dakota State U.), A Comparative Analysis of Risk Preference Elicitation Procedures Using Mail Survey Results.
- Wesley N. Musser (U. of Maryland), George F. Patrick (Purdue U.) and Stanton Ullerich (Buena Vista College), A Behavioral Measure of Risk Preferences (Participatory Workshop).
March 25 - Saturday
8:30 - 10:00 am
- Gregg Ibendahl and Ron Fleming (University of Kentucky), Controlling Aquifer Nitrogen Levels when Fertilizing Crops.
- Paul D. Mitchell (Texas A&M), Bruce A. Babcock and David A. Hennessay (Iowa State U.), Impact of Imperfect Information and Green Insurance on Best Management Practice Adoption Incentives.
- James A. Larson (U. of Tennessee), An Evaluation of Production Risk for Cotton Grown Using Alternative Winter Cover Crops, Nitrogen Fertilization Rates, and Tillage Methods.
10:00 - 10:30 Break
10:30 - 11:30
- Steven L. Klose, Joe L. Outlaw, and James W. Richardson (Texas A&M), Incorporating Spatial Correlation in Farm Level Risk Analysis.
- Miranda P.M. Meuwissen, Marcel A.P.M. van Asseldonk, and Ruud B.M. Huirne (Wageningen University, The Netherlands), Derivatives for Potato Processing Industries in the Netherlands.
11:30 - 12:00 Business Meeting